North Carolina Botanical Garden
Chapel Hill, NC
About The Organization: The North Carolina Botanical Garden is a part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill which furthers the University's mission of teaching, research, and public service through its mission: "To inspire understanding, appreciation, and conservation of plants and to advance a sustainable relationship between people and nature.” The North Carolina Botanical Garden has been a leader in native plant conservation and education in the southeastern United States for more than 50 years.
Job Description: This Horticultural Technician will join a thoughtful team that is passionate about native plants of the southeastern U.S. and dedicated to sustainability. They will actively participate in the daily operations and maintenance of the gardens and grounds of the North Carolina Botanical Garden, and provide support to collection curators, the greenhouse / nursery operation and special projects as instructed by the Director of Horticulture.
• Basic garden maintenance (leaf blowing, mowing, raking, weeding)
• Removal of garden debris (weeds, pruning waste) and human generated litter (empty trashcans, recycling)
• Procurement / transport of bulk materials (gravel, mulch, soil)
• Perform routine maintenance on equipment, gardening tools and hardscape elements (benches, trellises)
• Light carpentry / construction, irrigation system maintenance / repair
• High school diploma or equivalency and demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Familiarity with the flora of the southeastern U.S.
• Ability to work out-of-doors year round and endure exposure to summer sun, heat and humidity, winter cold and natural hazards (mosquitos, ticks, fire ants, venomous snakes, poison ivy) on a routine basis.
• Ability to work the weekend at least one out of every four consecutive weeks.
• Competent at driving a manual transmission vehicle and operating heavy equipment (mini skid-steer, tractor)
• Experience performing basic carpentry; installing / repairing irrigation systems and light construction
• Must possess a valid North Carolina Driver’s license and North Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s license; or have the ability to obtain these upon employment.
• Experience performing routine maintenance on equipment / vehicles is preferred
Qualified parties can apply at: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/138035
“The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.”