DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
Scissortail Park Foundation
Oklahoma City, OK
Reports to: CEO/President
Scissortail Park Foundation is seeking a creative, experienced and energetic person to join our leadership team and work closely with the CEO/President, department managers and board to initiate and manage the Marketing and Communications Department for Scissortail Park, a major new urban park currently under construction in downtown Oklahoma City.
About Scissortail Park
The 70 acre Scissortail Park, designed by internationally-acclaimed landscape architecture firm, Hargreaves and Associates, links the heart of the city to the Oklahoma River, long aspired to and set forth in the city’s “Core to Shore” master urban development plan. This $135 million project is funded by a city-wide major civic improvement tax. The new park is located adjacent just a block south of Myriad Botanical Gardens, the park will feature extensive gardens, a Great Lawn and outdoor performance venue, a lake with paddle boats, a café, recreational facilities, children’s play areas, dog park, a civic scaled interactive fountain and multiple walking/jogging paths, all set within regionally-specific native woodland and prairie landscapes. Over 1,000 trees will be planted in the 36-acre Upper Park with hundreds more in the 34 acre Lower Park.
The boathouse, stage, cafe’ and pavilions by Butzer Architects recall the vernacular architecture of the settlements that dotted the Oklahoma plains. The central promenade with unique art lighting by New York lighting designer/artist Jamie Carpenter will link the downtown end of the park across Interstate 40 and the new SkyDance Bridge to the edge of the river. The restored historic Union Station, Oklahoma City’s magnificent old train station, is the architectural jewel of the park, with adaptive reuses including history museum, art gallery, event venues, a restaurant and bicycle rentals. The park is a recreational and cultural focal point of the city and the front yard for the adjacent new convention center, the Chesapeake Arena, home to The Thunder NBA team and new mixed use developments. This park further defines Oklahoma City as a world-class city while greatly enhancing the downtown experience and lifestyle for residents and visitors.
The 36-acre Upper Park is scheduled to open in the summer of 2019 with the 34-acre Lower Park due to open in 2021. The Lower Park will feature naturalized planting areas, walking and biking trails, a community garden and youth farm, outdoor amphitheater and soccer fields.
In addition to the park’s infrastructure features, a variety of creative year-round programming will further make the park a major destination site for a diverse audience of residents and visitors. For more information and images of the new park, please visit: http://www.hargreaves.com/work/scissortail-park/
Scissortail Park’s operations will be managed by a 501c3 nonprofit organization that also manages Myriad Botanical Gardens also located in downtown Oklahoma City. Myriad Botanical Gardens was the recipient of the Urban Land Institute’s 2015 International Open Space Award for best new urban green space in the United States.
Director of Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for planning, developing, and implementing integrated marketing, communications and public relations plans for the park and its attractions, activities, special events, and business operations, and initiate and direct community outreach efforts to grow its visibility and attendance by a diverse audience of OKC residents, tourists and other visitors. This position reports to the Executive Director and works in collaboration with Business Development, Development and Membership, Special Events and the park’s board of trustees.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Create, implement and oversee strategies and timelines for marketing, communications, advertising and public relations to drive visitors and business to the park year-round. Marketing tactics to include grassroots, digital, marketing, social media, print and specific programming strategies. Coordinate with CEO/President and other staff to ensure all marketing and communications needs are being met and new opportunities are explored and initiated.
• Oversee the production of and approve all marketing and communications materials produced by Scissortail Park Foundation to establish and maintain a high quality brand/logo/graphic identity image in all of its print and on-line materials and exhibits and events. Includes initiation of launching a new website and management of website content.
• Deliver audience and earned revenue growth through strategic marketing partnerships.
by planning and executing individual marketing plans for attendance at on-going and/or one time public programs or events that includes but is not limited to, grassroots marketing, digital marketing, social media and print. Develop relationships with nonprofit partners, corporations, commercial vendors and advertisers and other community and state and national contacts in order to maximize marketing dollars.
• Develop and implement marketing plans and projects for all activities and business ventures/earned revenue opportunities in the park which will include a seasonal roller rink, café, food truck area, band shell performances and boathouse rentals.
• Collaborate on promotional strategies with businesses, nonprofit cultural and recreational organizations and promotional state and city organizations to promote, visit, support and increase earned revenues for Scissortail Park. Includes developing marketing and communications partnerships with future convention center and convention center hotel located across the street from the park.
• Field all press requests and manage partnerships with print, digital, TV, radio outlets and act as Park spokesperson or assign as appropriate.
• Act as editor for all Park publications, collateral and signage.
• Produce weekly e-newsletter and quarterly events flyer listing programs and events at the park once park opens
• Provide monthly marketing and communications and events reports. Oversee the compilation, analysis and evaluation of market data including visitor surveys to determine best use of marketing, communications and event resources.
• Develop, manage and oversee marketing and communications budget.
• Maintain press and collateral archive
• Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote, and guide qualified marketing and communications personnel, both paid and volunteer. Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality staff and volunteers.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities with a minimum of 5 years of experience as a marketing and communications director.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal under time constraints.
• Creativity and enthusiasm as well as being a self-starter who is highly organized and able to juggle multiple projects and deadlines as needed.
• Ability to develop and implement an integrated marketing/ communications plan.
• Excellent project management, decision-making and meeting deadline skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; individual must be personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituency and staff.
• Proven experience using best practices and keeping up-to-date in marketing trends, (including related technology), public relations, graphic design, internet marketing and printing industry.
• Budget development and monitoring experience.
• Proven management/supervisory experience.
• Experience in developing and managing internet/website content.
• Assist with other tasks as needed.
• 5+ years of marketing and communications experience
• 5+ years of management experience with commitment to a team approach
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Experienced in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and social media tools along with website content management.
• Ability to work and thrive within a start-up operation environment to launch a new organization.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience; benefits included.
• Health, dental, vision and life insurance
• Employer contribution to 401K retirement savings fund
• Paid vacation, holiday and personal time
• Continuing education opportunities for skill and knowledge building, and professional networking
Please send a cover letter, resume with three references to: Maureen Heffernan, CEO/President, Myriad Gardens Foundation/Scissortail Park Foundation, 301 West Reno, Oklahoma City, OK 73102.
Please email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: April 13, 2018