Under the direct supervision of the San Antonio Botanical Garden Director of Programs, the Family and Adult Programs Specialist is responsible for all family and adult programming including Family Day events, Family and Adult Ed classes, workshops, and interpretive planning. The Specialist may also assist with planning and developing exhibits, and curricula/program development. The Family and Adult Programs Specialist will work closely with the Director of Programs, Children’s Programs Specialist, and Volunteer Coordinator to train and coordinate volunteers to assist with educational programs. The position is expected to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule to accommodate regular weekend programming as needed.
Status and Scope
Manages the day to day details of scheduling groups, planning and teaching programs, and preparing reports, maintaining files, assisting with volunteers, and visitor service needs. Performs additional duties as assigned. Assists the Director of Programs, Children’s Program Specialist and to a lesser extent the Volunteer Coordinator. May interact with Board of Directors, Garden Executive Director, as well as other staff, volunteers and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Specifically, the Family and Adult Programs Specialist will have responsibility for the following activities:
- Adult Educational classes and workshops
- Develops, coordinates, schedules a creative array of adult educational classes throughout the year
- Schedules and confirms educational walks in the Garden such as Bird Walks, and Native Plant Walks.
- Coordinates / assists with scheduling docents to lead walks / programs
- Works closely with Director of Programs in development of programming for new facilities.
Family Day Events
- Assist with scheduling presenters and volunteers
- Organizes Family Days a minimum six months in advance, monitors budget for events, produces daily event flyer, etc.
- Develops ROI study after each event.
- Interpretive Programs
- Serves as a staff lead in planning and facilitating interpretive media
- Writes interpretive copy directly as well as refining copy from others
- Works with vendors to generate interpretive signs, banners, posters, etc., as needed.
- Closely works with community groups to foster partnerships that expand the capacity of the Garden’s programming opportunities
- Plan classes, programs and events in support of Garden partnerships
- Represent the Garden at community events that take place off-site
- Serves as backup assistance for Children’s Programs as needed such as the school programs Terrarium Ecosystem Program (October-November and February-May)
- Partner with Children’s Program Specialist to plan and implement teacher training programs.
- Assist in training and scheduling volunteers for programs and events.
- Serves as an active member of the Education Committee.
- Conducts minimum two gardening staff development training sessions annually.
- May be asked to do radio / television interviews.
- Assists with monitoring budget in specific area of responsibility.
- Prepares reports, maintains records, and assists with guest services.
- Helps promote programs through press releases, eblasts, Facebook / Instagram posts, interviews, etc. Assists with website maintenance.
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in one of the following areas: Agriculture, Horticulture, Botany, Forestry, Biology, Education, Recreation & Parks, Wildlife/Fisheries Science, Natural and/or Cultural Resource Conservation, or closely related field. Experience in interpretation or conducting educational programs may substitute for degree.
Experience: Minimum one year of experience in interpretation or conducting educational programs.
License/Certifications: Must possess or be able to obtain, within thirty days of employment, a valid class "C" Texas driver's license. NOTE: Retention of position contingent upon obtaining and maintaining required license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The successful candidate will be skillful in planning, organizing and implementing public presentations and guided tours for all age groups. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential for success in this position. Knowledge of natural and cultural resources preferred. Ability to plan and implement special events for families. Previous experience working with volunteers and the ability to train and serve as a team leader for volunteers is preferred. Initiative and follow through as well as the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and maintain a positive attitude at times of increased workload are crucial. Good organizational skills are required, with strict attention to details in all tasks. Successful candidates will also have the ability to work productively and positively in a team oriented environment and to provide quality customer service in a professional manner. Flexibility to work occasional long hours including weekend and evenings is needed.
The Family and Adult Programs Specialist must ensure that information is dealt with in the strictest of confidence and discretion.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Position requires stamina for leading groups on walks through the grounds on uneven surfaces and occasional extended days for special events.
Position requires the ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive and professional manner while providing excellent customer service and managing volunteers.
- Expected to perform under minimum supervision and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
- Work may be performed in an office setting, classroom, or grounds of the Botanical Garden. Duties may be performed outdoors in all types of weather.
- On occasion, required to work extended hours.
- Work must often meet deadlines, which can be stressful.
- Minimal travel may be required.
Computer / printer and related software (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), fax, office telephone.
Please send your resume and reference to Dr. Cynthia D. Klemmer at cynthia.klemmer@SanAntonio.gov or to the address below:
San Antonio Botanical Garden
555 Funston Place
San Antonio, TX 78209