The Locust Grove Estate, a National Historic Landmark located in Poughkeepsie, NY (the heart of the Hudson Valley), seeks a Director of Horticulture to plan and implement the maintenance and continuing restoration of the estate's historic gardens. Successful candidates will demonstrate an interest in researching historic garden design, experience working with volunteers, and enthusiasm for sharing knowledge and research with the public.
● Develop annual budget and work plan for Horticulture Department
● Maintain landscape gardens and grounds, including perennial, annual, and vegetable gardens, and landscape beds at Visitor Center
● Oversee garden volunteers and interns
● Research, plan, implement, and document garden restoration projects
● Maintain and operate the Greenhouse
● Identify and approach potential funders for garden restoration projects
● Collaborate with administrative staff to increase and improve site visitation and rentals through the use of the gardens and grounds
● Coordinate special events and tours
● Oversee arboriculture and pest management program
● Coordinate maintenance projects with Buildings and Grounds Manager
● Effectively work with and communicate with other staff, volunteers, and visitors.
B.A/B.S or equivalent in horticulture or a related field required. Minimum of 4 years practical experience in gardening, Continuing education in professional horticulture and gardening a plus.
Work Environment: This job operates in outdoor weather conditions, as well as a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, laptops, phones, mobile devices, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following: climb ladders and lift weights up to 50 pounds, sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel.
To apply, please forward a CV, cover letter, and list of three references to Kenneth Snodgrass, email@example.com